Join us on our Christmas countdown of career tips! As you navigate the festive season of job hunting, understanding a company’s culture becomes a vital step before accepting that tempting job offer. Discovering a culture that resonates with your passions and values is more than just finding employment; it’s about finding a job that brings you joy and fulfilment.
In collaboration with HappyHQ, the experts in championing a people-first company culture, we’ve crafted 12 insightful ways to help you unravel the mystery of a company’s culture
1. Do Your Research: Check the company’s virtual presence. Explore their website, browse through social media channels, and check any other public-facing platforms. Consider how they present themselves—this often mirrors their values and work environment.
2. Check the News: Stay informed about the company’s recent activities. Look for news articles and press releases. This can offer insights into their reputation and how they handle public relations.
3. Analyse Job Descriptions: Pay attention to the language used in job descriptions. The words chosen can reveal a company’s beliefs, values, and priorities.
4.Assess how open the leadership is: Transparent leadership is a key indicator of a positive culture. Look for signs of openness, such as regular company-wide meetings, Q&A sessions with executives, or a leadership team that values employee feedback.
5. Evaluate the Onboarding Process: The onboarding process provides valuable insights. Companies with a robust, welcoming onboarding process often prioritise their employees’ success and growth.
6. Ask About Work-Life Balance: During the interview, inquire about the company’s stance on work-life balance. This can reveal their expectations and priorities.
7. Look at Company Reviews: Platforms like Glassdoor and Indeed offer a glimpse into employee experiences. Reviews can provide additional insights into the company’s culture.
8. Evaluate Company Rituals: Consider company rituals like birthday celebrations or team outings. These can indicate a strong, positive company culture.
9. Consider the Physical Environment: If possible, observe the company’s physical environment during your interview. The workspace can often reflect a company’s culture and values.
10. Pay Attention to Communication Style: How a company communicates with its employees matters. Is it formal or casual? Frequent or sparse? Communication style can speak volumes about the company’s culture.
11. Ask About Employee Turnover: High turnover rates can be a red flag. Inquiring about employee turnover during the interview process can provide insights into potential issues with the company’s culture or management.
12. What does a typical day or week look like in this role? Understanding the day-to-day responsibilities can provide a glimpse into the work culture and whether it aligns with your preferences.
In summary, people-first company cultures are crucial for job satisfaction and career growth. It’s not just about the work, but also the environment. So, assess these elements thoroughly in your job search. You’re not just looking for a job – you’re looking for a place to thrive and grow. Choose wisely! The right job is the best gift of all, especially during this Christmas season. 🎁🎄
Happy job hunting!
If you’re currently looking for a job (you love), check out our job board or/and upload your CV.